Taiwan Language Center: Friendship in cultural cooperation
VisiHanzi: Our cultural-tourism approach for learning traditional Chinese characters
Learn some traditional Chinese characters with our cultural-tourism approach that highlights the treasures of the National Palace Museum in Taipei and top tourist attractions around Taiwan.
This culturally-integrated visual approach complete with color coding for the different tones helps you learn traditional Chinese characters for new words.
- appearance (clothing and personal accessories);
- culture (art, architecture, cinema, music, literature, religion, theater); leisure activities; and hobbies;
- economy and labor force; occupations, the office environment; and job searches;
- education and programs of study (schools, colleges, universities);
- feelings and emotions
- food and drink; eating out;
- geography (countries, landscapes);
- healthcare (medicine, dentistry, illness, exercise) and emergency services;
- home (rooms, furniture, appliances, grounds);
- leisure activities;
- names: given (first) names of famous Taiwanese;
- numbers, dates, telling time;
- people (the body, family, relationships, and life events);
- shopping; men’s clothes; women’s clothes; baby clothes
- sports; summer sports; winter sports;
- tourism and hospitality; tourist attractions;
- transportation: air transport; land transport; water transport;
- weather, seasons, natural disasters;
- wildlife, birds, farm animals, marine life, pets.
The tones in Mandarin
There are 4 tones in Mandarin plus one neutral tone.
In our VisiHanzi approach, we will color code the hanzi you learn. This will facilitate your learning of the traditional Chinese characters.